Tuesday, August 24, 2010

If You Aren't Completely Burnt Out On Zombies Yet....

...then this might be for you.



Seriously, I know many people out there are probably sick and tired of the zombie over-saturation of the geekscape.  I get that; I feel the same way about vampires (Stephanie Meyer's real crime against all that we geeks hold sacred isn't that she's responsible for a bad movie. I gleefully admit to liking plenty of trash cinema. It's that she made the nosferatu cute and non-threatening.)  But really, even if you are tired of zombies, I think you should give this a chance.



I've only just recently started catching up Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead graphic novels, after years of hearing how awesome they are. And indeed, they do completely live up to the hype.  Along with Max Brooks' superlative novel World War Z (which may possibly be a movie soon, courtesy of Brad Pitt's production company) TWD to me is the true inheritor to the Romero legacy when it comes to Zombie horror.  In fact, the Zombies themselves aren't the villains of the work, or even a force of evil, for that matter. They're more a force of nature, an impersonal disaster that has put a group of ordinary people into an extraordinary circumstance.  And that's where all the fun really comes from. That, and gunshots to the cranium.



This is the first actual footage I've seen from this. I was confident when I heard that Frank Darabont was handling this... he's certainly a credible director, and his adaption of Stephen King's The Mist proved that he's not going to pull punches on anyone. So, color me optimistic on this one.








(Much love to Nerdist.com for posting the trailer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment