Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mikael Åkerfeldt's Continuing Campaign to Make Music Awesome Again

Even boringly heterosexual guys, such as myself, will admit to having at least a few platonic man crushes  if pressed. And if I was put to the question, Mikael Åkerfeldt would be on my list.

Not content with merely revolutionizing epic gothic-prog-death metal (yes, that's a real genre, I just invented it) as the leader of the band Opeth, as well as horrifying old-school brutal death metal with the supergroup Bloodbath,  the Swedish musical titan has now joined forces with another genius, Porcupine Tree mastermind Steven Wilson on a side project.  The project (which currently goes unnamed, though Wilson says in his twitter that the working title is Storm Corrosion,) was also originally slated to include Dream Theater drum god Mike Portnoy. However Åkerfeldt says that doesn't look like it's going to happen, at least at present:

"To be honest, there’s just no room for drums on what we’ve done so far. I called Mike up, and he was cool about it. He’s got so much going on anyway, and I’m sure we will work together in the future."

I myself do hope that they work together, if for no other reason that to see the awesomely talented Portnoy in a project other than Dream Theater (a band that I have to admit I could never really get myself into, though they are musicians of the highest caliber that I have the utmost respect for.)  But Portnoy's plate was pretty full at any rate, with him filling the drummer's throne for Avenged Sevenfold in the wake of the untimely passing of The Rev, as well as his usual duties with Dream Theater.

In more Åkerfeld-related news, later this month  his main band Opeth is releasing In Live Concert at the Royal Albert Hall, a live album/DVD set taken from a show from their recent 20th anniversary tour.   And even though it's the third live set to be released by Opeth,  it should be worth it simply for the chance to see them play completely through their classic album Blackwater Park live from start to finish.  Below is a clip of them playing "Dirge for November" from that very album (much gratitude to Classic Rock Magazine for posting this bit of awesomeness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment